Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beryllium copper heat sinks in tube shields, how safe are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
Manual of the Collins KWM2/2A HF transceiver states:

E8
CLIP. CRYSTAL: beryllium copper; 0.009
in. thk; 3/8 in. w by 0.393 in. lg by 15/64

E9, E10, El3
SHIELD, ELECTRON TUBE: 9 pin
medium cylindrical with flared end; open
top; brass; 0.95 in. by 1.065 in.; incl
beryllium copper insert

I believe these beryllium copper inserts, are actually the heat sink inserts inside the tube shields, since I find many resources on these, for example:

Did you know that they were composed of this material? Also the clip that holds the 100KHz crystal.
The 51S-1 has probably one too in the VFO tube shield and the 100KHz crystal, but its manual does not say anything about the material.

Given the fact that they heat to high temperatures and the hot air passes through these heatsinks and enters the operator room, I wonder how dangerous it is to operate these radios????

Kostas

Neither Be nor Cu is going to sublimate at temperatures that won't ruin the springs / shields well beforehand. Just don't grind it fine, oxidize and snort it, m'kay?

Neither Be nor Cu is going to sublimate at temperatures that won't ruin the springs / shields well beforehand. Just don't grind it fine, oxidize and snort it, m'kay?
I notice that ALL of these BeCu heatsinks have been gone dark black in color. All of them. I guess it is some kind of oxide, formed by the years of humidity heat inside the tube shield?

How about this oxide, would that be dangerous for the air to pass through and escape to the operator room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back