Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery monitoring circuitry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airman17054

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My current project is to build a battery monitoring circuit to give a battery charge reading for an RC plane.
The battery i want to monitor is a 4.8v NiCD. my current idea is to have a segment of 9 LEDs, 3 green, 3 yellow and 3 red. as the battery goes between these 'health' levels i want the lit LED to progressively move down.

So the health levels will be

Green 1: Fully charged
Green 2:Almost fully charged
Green 3:Majority charged
Yellow 1:charged
Yellow 2:reaching the limit
Yellow 3:very close to the limit
Red 1:1 flight max
Red 2:not the best idea to fly
Red 3:dangerous level

So you would only fly if the battery was said to be on the 4th LED or above. another idea was to use a RGB LED and still have the 9 levels but instead of having 9 leads have 1 LED and have the timing altered

Level 1:Solid Green
Level 2:1 pulse every second
Level 3:1 pulse every 5 seconds
Level 4:Solid Blue
Level 5:1 pulse every second
Level 6: pulse every 5 seconds
Level 7:Solid Red
Level 8:1 pulse every second
Level 9: pulse every 5 seconds

For both of these systems i would have a push button mounted so that I would only be using battery power when i want to see the reading.

My current thing is using some form of MCU like an Arduino so i can program it to recognize the different battery levels and control the timing of an RGB LED.

Future additions would be to add a load while measuring the battery and re configure it to handle 6 v to 8.4 volts(but that is for a later date).

I know they have ready made store available but i want to build this myself for experience.

I would appreciate any ideas or feedback

cheers

Airman

Take a look at ti's bq2014H. It drives LEDs based on estimated charge and can link serially to your MCU. The application circuit in the data sheet is pretty strait forward on how to set it up. Its surface mount, but its SOIC so its easy to do by hand.
Its kinda expensive in single quantities, but TI has always been pretty good about passing out free samples.

Good Luck

Thanks for that i will have a look into that!

Status
Not open for further replies.