Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery charger question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asparagus

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am an amateur electronics enthusiast, I was trying to understand the inner workings battery chargers like Turnigy Accucell 6 Charger.
See Video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LfU4mjgpyM

My understanding is that there are no chips specific to Lithium Ion or NiMh battery. The charging algorithm is driven by the micro processor. In theory would it be possible to reprogram the microprocessor to introduce support to new battery chemistry? Can one design a battery charger that can support a new type of battery via remote software upgrade?

Why not use contactless card technology? The memory must contain the charging information for the battery, including types that have not yet been designed. It could be better if the battery memory just contained a type number and the charger held the look up table which can be updated via the net.
Frank

Why not use contactless card technology? The memory must contain the charging information for the battery, including types that have not yet been designed. It could be better if the battery memory just contained a type number and the charger held the look up table which can be updated via the net.
Frank

Actually that was my initial idea, we could use RFID tags to read the unique battery ID and look up the specs. but I am not sure how I can update the MCU memory using a smart phone APP. If I have to use Wifi connectivity will it not add additional cost? If Wifi connectivity is to be provided we will also need a touch screen to input wifi password.

The objective is create a user friendly platform for DC battery charging that can be used by housewives for household gadgets. Current battery chargers are very manual. We have to make connections using messy cables and have to select the battery type and the number of cells in series, this whole process can be automated if we can get the charger to read a unique id from the battery.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 43

Status
Not open for further replies.