Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

battery charger design considration

Status
Not open for further replies.

thannara123

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello experts ,
I got an invert-er -Tubular battery ,i am going to make battery charger . Pleas give me what are the consideration for the designing of that circuit . the battery is 12 volts 120AH .

Inverter working with batt.. ?
batt... used for for inverter ?
tubular batt what kind of batt /model ?

dont know (integral Batteries C-10 DIN stranded )it was used for an inverter . But i want to make charger ?

dont know (integral Batteries C-10 DIN stranded )it was used for an inverter . But i want to make charger ?

use the same charger u have in the inverter... or look in inver spec they will show charge specs for the batts.
locate batt in google
**broken link removed**

for 120AH battery the main consideration will be to charge at 1/10 the rated battery capacity so you need a 12 amp charger

any other regulator ic etc ?

How can anybody know what kind of charger not knowing the batt type ?????????

see the picture of the battery

P0706120003.jpg

I think when we going to battery design then the Major points to be considered in parameter selection of the voltage and current controllers are explained in terms of the universal input operation.

It seems like a 12V lead-acid battery. You've said that the capacity is 120Ah.

So, you can design a charger that charges the battery at a voltage between 13.5V and 14.5V, where charging current is 12A to 15A. The charging current depends on charging voltage. Setting it to C/10 -> 120/10 -> 12A maximizes battery time while charging the battery from near fully (allowable) discharged state to 100% state in 10 to 14 hours. Increasing charging current decreases charging time, but also decreases battery life.

You should make sure that the battery is not overcharged. So, your charger should detect if the battery is fully charged or not. And if the battery is fully charged, either the charging must be stopped or the battery should be trickle charged.

If you don't overcharge the battery, charging current may be set for greater than C/10 without affecting battery life too badly.

However C/10 should be okay, as the battery should not be fully discharged or even close to that.

So, a simple solution is:
Charge battery initially at C/10 current. If battery is nearly fully charged, stop charging or trickle charge. You may add in another stage there, where charging current is slowly decreased to 5A or less nearer the battery full level.

There are other 3-step and 4-step chargers available and you can search online for more details.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

12 amperage power supply required is it ? which regulator IC i have use ?

12A is okay.

Are you going to be using a linear power supply with bulky iron core transformer or SMPS?

With 12A, the linear regulator will dissipate a lot of power. It's probably better to use a switching regulator. If you're going to use SMPS, the output can be kept regulated via the feedback loop.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

No am going to make a linear one because I have a transformer .
But my question is which regulator can i use that have 12 A current rating ?

You can use an LM317 with current-boosting with transistors.

Or you could design a buck regulator using a PWM chip and a MOSFET.

I don't know of any single chip with 12A capacity. You could use regulator modules though.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

How did u all decide its lead acid ?

https://www.donrowe.com/inverters/inverter_faq.html#battery_type

"What type of battery should I use (automotive or deep cycle)?

Small Inverters: Most automobile and marine batteries will provide an ample power supply for 30 to 60 minutes even when the engine is off. Actual time may vary depending on the age and condition of the battery, and the power demand being placed on it by the equipment being operated by the inverter. If you use the inverter while the engine is off, you should start the engine every hour and let it run for 10 minutes to recharge the battery.

500 Watt and larger Inverters: We recommend you use deep cycle (marine or RV) batteries which will give you several hundred complete charge/discharge cycles. If you use the normal vehicle starting batteries they will wear out after about a dozen charge/discharge cycles. If you do not have a deep cycle battery, we recommend that you run the engine of your vehicle when operating the power inverter.

When operating the inverter with a deep cycle battery, start the engine every 30 to 60 minutes and let it run for 10 minutes to recharge the battery.

When the inverter will be operating appliances with high continuous load ratings for extended periods, it is not advisable to power the inverter with the same battery used to power your car or truck. If the car or truck battery is utilized for an extended period, it is possible that the battery voltage may be drained to the point where the battery has insufficient reserve power to start the vehicle. In these cases, it's a good idea to have an extra deep cycle battery for the inverter (installed close to the inverter), cabled to the starting battery. It is recommended to install a battery isolator between the batteries."

Automotive and deep-discharge batteries are both commonly lead-acid batteries.

**broken link removed**

"Practically all batteries used in PV and all but the smallest backup systems are Lead-Acid type batteries."

"An important fact is that ALL of the batteries commonly used in deep cycle applications are Lead-Acid. This includes the standard flooded (wet) batteries, gelled, and AGM. They all use the same chemistry, although the actual construction of the plates etc varies."

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Sorry cant-find ant thing about what kind of batt for inverter in your link only batt types.

"Batteries are divided in two ways, by application (what they are used for) and construction (how they are built). The major applications are automotive, marine, and deep-cycle. Deep-cycle includes solar electric (PV), backup power, traction, and RV and boat "house" batteries. The major construction types are flooded (wet), gelled, and AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat). AGM batteries are also sometimes called "starved electrolyte" or "dry", because the fiberglass mat is only 95% saturated with Sulfuric acid and there is no excess liquid.
Flooded may be stand"valve regulated" (commonly referred to as "VRLA" - Valve Regulated Lead-Acid). Most valve regulated are under some pressure - 1 to 4 psi at sea level", with removable caps, or the so-called "maintenance free" (that means they are designed to die one week after the warranty runs out). All AGM & gelled are sealed and are "valve regulated", which means that a tiny valve keeps a slight positive pressure. sealed batteries

all "deep cycle applications are Lead-Acid" ok .. but first r all tubular batts depp cycle lead acid? i really would like to read a paper or research what batts used for inverter are are best for inverter and why .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back