Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery capacity indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

user119

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am looking for a battery capacity indicator for my Li ion battery pack. There are many battery capacity indicators available but unfortunately they are too big for my project. What I am looking for is a small capacity indicator that just displays the capacity in percentage that are found on cordless hair trimmers. Please refer to the image below.

Hb922d0e6ee664b64b9b823d0e0712d0bU.jpg

TIA.

It sounds as though you want to know the state of charge in the battery, correct? An Ampere-Hour meter is the instrument for that.

It keeps track of current going to or from the battery pack. The parameters it measures are: 1) how many Amperes in which direction, and 2) for how much time.

You can try measuring battery voltage and that gives you a rough idea moment-to-moment. However it doesn't do the same job as an Amp-hour meter.
It's possible to construct your own Amp-hour meter although it takes work and know-how and the right components.

Hi all,

I am looking for a battery capacity indicator for my Li ion battery pack. There are many battery capacity indicators available but unfortunately they are too big for my project. What I am looking for is a small capacity indicator that just displays the capacity in percentage that are found on cordless hair trimmers.
Battery capacity depend on several factors; age is one important one.

The capacity also depends on the rate of charging and discharging. If you discharge a battery fast, you recover less charge because some energy is lost in the battery.

Batteries are also subject to self-discharge but that is usually small and often ignored.

If your load is constant, you use a total charge calculator to get the per cent battery capacity left. They may be at most 5% accurate (because of aging and self-discharge)

You need a microprocessor controlled charge and discharge unit to that you get meaningful numbers on the display.

Simple voltage level based four level indicator modules are available for various cells (including Li-ion). For a battery pack, it can be messy.

The short answer is there isn't a simple way to add such a function.

At minimum, you will need:
1. A fuel gauge/coulomb counter chip (which must interface to the battery charge circuit so that it is reset when a charge cycle is complete)
2. A microcontroller to read the fuel gauge
3. The display itself, which is controlled by the microcontroller.

Status
Not open for further replies.