Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery backup - chemistry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The following post is similar to what I'm trying to accomplish. I was going to resurrect the thread, however a pop-up message suggested I start a fresh thread because the original thread is so old.

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/56818/

Objective:
Design a battery powered uninterruptible power supply 12V, 0.4A

Load is normally powered via a 120Vac to 12Vdc power supply, however the 120Vac will drop out from time to time for up to 2 hours. Outage is unpredictable, but will likely occur once every 5-10 days, but could be as infrequent as 6 months.

Battery technology has progressed since the original thread was posted, I'm not sure lead-acid is still the recommended technology for this application?

1. So what battery technology would you recommend for this application?
    [*]
    [*]Recommended circuits for the power switch-over?

For my backup power system (in 1999), I chose lead-acid golf cart batteries. They're designed to take abuse.

* If you wish to spend more on AGL (Absorbed glass mat) lead-acid, that is more robust than plain lead-acid.

* Although newer types (ex., lithium) have emerged, these require extra care. They have higher energy density per cubic inch. A mistake with these types could be expensive. Li-ion type is in the news due to occasionally exploding and causing fires.

* Gel cells are great because they are suited for indoor use. You can turn them upside down. They don't leak. However you must not charge them at too high a rate, because bubbles can develop on the plates. Once formed, the bubbles do not go away. The battery's performance drops.

I inherited an ailing UPS (Radio Shack). Its batteries were 4 gel cells. One was bad. I went to a motorcycle shop and purchased a small 6V lead acid battery. It worked okay with the remaining 3. However I had to be careful not to tilt or jostle the unit.

for a storage capacity of 10 Watt hrs at 12V perhaps you can run at 11.1V with three 3.7V Lipo Cells for short durations or perhaps 4 cells with an LDO wired in parallel.

But I might consider running off a central car battery distributed like phone wire to any peripheral or emergency light using the unused Line 2 pair of wires if that is avail.

Status
Not open for further replies.