Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

basic question about current

Status
Not open for further replies.

lats

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm designing a ampere meter (to measure upto 5A current) using a CT (current transformer) with ratio 1:2500, which means for 5A input i'll get 2mA current and with a 50 ohms burden resistor i'll get 0.1 volts for 5A current. Will this 0.1 volts be peak value or RMS?

usualy because of 5A is rms value then C.T. output current and voltage will be rms value.

ok. actually i want to measure and display three phase currents with single display. So should i feed these three analog voltages (0 - 0.1 v) to a analog multiplexer (like cd4051) and then feeding the output of analog multiplexer to a peak detector and then to an op-amp (to increase the gain) i.e. to make 0- 5v range and then to an ADC. the three different inputs can be selected one at a time through micro-controller.

and also thanks for replying previously

may be better to amplify and rectify with 3 op-amp and connect there peak values to microcontroller.
some of microcontroller have ADC on chip, such as PIC16F873-4-6-7 or ATMEGA8,16.

Regards,
Davood

Status
Not open for further replies.