Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bandwidth and GBW relations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmed_hussein5

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Greetings,

I've heard that there is some relation between open loop GBW and Closed loop BW, what is it exactly, and if possible I want a proof on it.

thanks.

Hi,

GBW = Gain Band Width. (usually open loop)

BW = Band Width (without gain)

Example:
if an OPAMP has an open loop GBW = 1MHz and you use it with Gain = 20 then the output bandwidth can be estimated by BW = GBW/Gain = 1MHz / 20 = 50 kHz

Klaus

Greetings,
I've heard that there is some relation between open loop GBW and Closed loop BW, what is it exactly, and if possible I want a proof on it.
thanks.

If you know the meaning of GBW (Gain-Bandwidth-Product) it should be clear that the closed-loop BW can be calculated using the relation
Bandwidth=GBW/Acl with Acl being the closed-loop gain.
Comment: This applies only as long as the opamp gain has a single pole response (slope -20dB/dec)

As LvW noted, the GBW relation only applies to standard op amps with a single-pole roll-off of the open-loop response. Other types, such as current-feedback op amps, do not exhibit this variation in bandwidth with close-loop gain.

If you look at the open-loop response of such a single-pole op amp you will see a constant rolloff of gain versus frequency. The closed-loop frequency response is simply the intersection of a horizontal straight line from the closed-loop gain with the open-loop response. This can be calculated as GBW / Av where Av is the closed loop gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back