Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Backelite? knob grinding, sould I worry? Should I use it afterwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I had a knob from a Yaesu FT-301 which is a late 70's early 80's HAm transceiver. I wanted to open it's mounting hole at the end a bit. I suspected it was not the "sticky" plastic so I did this grinding with a large diameter drill and the whole process has been done in front of the vacuum cleaner tube opening.

The plastic of the knob was brittle. It reminded me plastics from old kitchen furnances. The grinding feeling was like this, no sticky plastic but brittle parts were coming out. I do not know if this is backelite or any other of plastic made on early 80s.

I read on wikipedia that backelite https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite can be mixed with asbestos, so I did the process with a vacuum cleaner sucking the bits. However I noticed some bigger pieces (1-2 mm or so) falling to the floor and one of them made it up onto my face. Then I increased the vacuum cleaner power and noticed no more pieces.

Now my question is, how safe do you think I was? Do you think that asbestos could contaminate me from this thing?

Here are two photos of the finished knob. Should I use it or better throw it away just to be sure?

Attachments

• DSC01998.JPG
    DSC01998.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC01999.JPG
    DSC01999.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 87

The knob is no danger whatsoever, it would be dust from drilling that might pose a risk. However, I have never heard of asbestos being used in a knob so I would think you are safe anyway.

Brian.

It is spelled as Bakelite and was invented in 1909. Its chemistry is polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride. Because it is so brittle then it is not used anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.