Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Back EMF of dc motor - Power Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

elexhobby

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello friends,

I had a doubt while studying inverters & converters in Power Electronics. In most of the circuits, (semiconverter, full-wave bridge converter, midpoint converter) the load is assumed to be a RLE load (i.e resistance R, inductance L, & a battery E). Now, it is said that the battery E may be the generated counter EMF of a dc motor. This is what I don’t understand. Why do they need to show a separate battery when an inductor is already shown? The back emf occurs due to the inductance of the motor & hence is accounted for when an inductance is shown in the load circuit.

Kindly help me & let me know the flaws in my reasoning.
Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Well in DC motor they don't stop they continue spinning so they generate energy that's why the battery to study the effects of the generated energy, in some cases you must provide a path to send that energy to ground to avoid damage, in other cases provide a way to return that energy to the source.

if the battery is the source of power and it is tied to the motor the bemf is shunted by it. nothing can move that battery since it is a current source and not a voltage source. and the bemf only shows up during commutation opens or voltage source time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back