Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automobile Data Bus signal generator for Can Bus, Flex Ray, Lin etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericsundbergva

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to find a signal generator or dedicated tester to simulate data to exercize the gauges in an instrument cluster. (speedometer, tach, fuel etc.)
Mostly for American cars.

I have found a J1939 generator from Dafulai Electronics Inc
But don't know the correct format for the data for the gauges, speedometer and tach. Also dont know if a device address is needed.

I was thinking of capturing the signal wityh a storage scope and replaying with an AWG, but there has to be something off the shelf.

Thanks

Last edited:

A few ago ago I worked on a project where we used a Drew Technologies SAE J2534 to monitor vehicle systems
**broken link removed**

A cheaper alternative would be a CAN to USB device which allows one to monitor traffic on the canbus, e.g. this one is easy to use
CANUSB - The Low cost CAN to USB converter

or use a microcontroller with Canbus capability, e.g. I have used a Microchip Explorer 16 board for this
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

The first thing you need to do is to figure out the message ID and its data packet format for driving your instrument cluster. This, I'm not too sure how you would figure this out without some expensive hardware or taking apart your instrument cluster.

But if you do, you can use a Kvaser Leaflite and a program like CANKing to inject CAN messages into your instrument cluster. They even provide dll libraries you can use so you can write your own programs.

If you are loaded with $$, you can get Canalyzer with CANcase and write your own CAPL scripts to drive the instrument cluster with much more flexibility. Only downside is that the hardware and software license will probably run you like 10-15k$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back