Status
Not open for further replies.

spike6

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'd like to make my ATX power on behave like an AT. That is, when AC switch on the power strip is turn on the PC will come on and boot without any further ado, like an older AT would if it's power swith was left on.

My idea to make this happen is to wire a capacitor across the PC power push button (I dunno, maybe 100mike, 25v?). This way when the 5v stand-by power appears at the pushbutton the capacitor would send a pulse to the motherboard signalling it to turn on the power supply.

1-Do you think this might work?
2-If so what size cap might be appropriate?
3-Would the cap bleed off through the mother board back circuits during power-off or would it need to be paralleled by a diode & resistor combination to accomplish that?

Thanks for your help.

You don't need any parts for this. Go into your BIOS when your computer starts and look for terms that describe this. Every BIOS is different in where it gets set. You will need to be patient and look thru everything. My says something like "recovery on loss of power". Don't change any hardware settings!

I have 5 different PC's and they all have this setting. Most allow you to start on AC connected, or a keystroke or a mouse click, or the panel button.

Use mini Remote controllers
Sincerely.

best answer follow up with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…