Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automate iterative process of assigning values in power planning through tcl scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritushree

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
You get a project... You did placement based on flylines but mostly on intuition... And then you do power planning... You are given power budget, metals to be used, etc and then you tweak values of space, width and pitch and try to get that perfect value also based on intuition... Now suppose
Someone got lucky and got the perfect value after 1 or 2 iterations while someone took more than 20 iterations... Where is it going then? Today you got lucky and tomorrow you might not be! My question is how do you gauge the efficiency then... Our intuition will only work to some extent.... Although run several iterations is nothing but trial and error no humans are efficient in doing that in short period of time... How can we write a tcl script for this?

one person gets a raise, the other is fired. for a big chip, no one has time to do 20 iterations.

I think human efforts for 2 or 3 initial iter runs are normal. If the results can be obtained then well and good. Else explain to your team that you need to automate the task as more iterations have to be run to achieve the desired result.

I think human efforts for 2 or 3 initial iter runs are normal. If the results can be obtained then well and good. Else explain to your team that you need to automate the task as more iterations have to be run to achieve the desired result.
Thank you for the answer... If we want to automate a task writing a tcl script how do I write it... Can you give any insight to that?

If we want to automate a task writing a tcl script how do I write it... Can you give any insight to that?
What do you want to automate using TCL?
Your question too generic so I choose to answer it my way.

See the following link and go to part <8> : **broken link removed**
It describes a way to automate functional verification using ModelSim taking the help of TCL. This will give you an idea as to how TCL is employed for automation. When you have an idea you can use TCL on any tool that supports it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back