Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio transformers design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Methanol

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anybody know where I can find information about design of output transformers for tube amplifiers?
The ones available online are way too expensive so I am trying to make my ownes.
I will apreciatte any information about this topic.
Thanks in advance.

Your biggest problem is getting the core material. Your best bet would be tape wound cores in the form of toroids.

In general you will start with an impedance ratio needed. Then take the square root to get the turns ratio. Then the number of turns needed is the amount that makes the inductive reactance several times the impedance at that side of the transformer at the lowest audio frequency.

Then you will need to size the wire to make the winding resistance a few % of the load value.

Then you will have to use insulation to withstand the voltages involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.