alunaro

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ATX power supply loading

Hello

I have a ATX power supply from a broken PC. I'd like to use it stand alone, but I don't know wich load I need in +5v-gnd or +12v-gnd to get these exact voltajes, otherwise... I get too much high values and I don't want to limit the current using DC-DC regulators.

Do you know which resistor value I need to simulate the mainboard loading?¡

:?: Thank u

Re: ATX power supply loading

Most of the ATX PSUs work fine with a 4.7R 10W resistor on +5Volt to ground.

Ante :roll:

and for AT?

I saw some schematics that use a 12V car light bulb in parallel with the resistor. But I don't see any sense to use it (the bulb).

Some time ago, I using old big (5 inches) (ST-251) Seagate HDD as PC power supply loading ...

p.s.
/http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/mfm/st251.html

alunaro,

Some AT works without any load but the same resistor will work on most of them.

Ante :roll:

Alunaro!
I think u should use 15ohm 2watt resistor parallel to 5v and 56ohm 2watt resistor parallel to 12v to get a stable output as I have seen in many ATX supplies.

Alunaro!
I think u should use 15ohm 2watt resistor parallel to 5v and 56ohm 2watt resistor parallel to 12v to get a stable output as I have seen in many ATX supplies.

Hello

You can use 12 volt, 5 watt light bulb to load the 5 volt line. Ihave used this method with a DELL PC power supply.

Regards

Why 3.3V is not reliable without other source loading, even with +5V loading it goes low as 3.0, Also I am wondering why mother board designer do not use +5 or 3.3 for CPU? They use +12V!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…