Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AT89S53 issue: can I program chip on board using ISP cable ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabela

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
AT89 newbie question

Hi, I haven't done this before so i just want to be sure before I buy everything.

I have schematics (designed by someone else) for a board based on the Atmel AT89S53 and I was wondering; if I put a new chip in the board, will I be able to program it using the ISP cable? Or do I have to first program it with a parallel programmer and then I can put it in the board and use the ISP cable?

Thanks!
~Jon

Re: AT89 newbie question

Either way is good, as this device supports a High-Voltage (12V) Parallel programming mode and a Low-Voltage (5V) Serial programming mode.
So, if you have an IC socket in your board you can put this chip into it and then program it through serial interface (SPI cable) ..

jabela

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: AT89 newbie question

Thanks for the info IanP, it's saving me from spending a few hundred bux on a parallel programmer.
~Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back