Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ask several questions about verilog synthesis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

triquent

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
1)the expression"(a+b<<1)" and "a+(b<<1)" will be sythesized to the same circuits when a, b is more than 1 bit?
2)Is it always better to let synthesis too decide when to use resource sharing based on design constraint?
3)will the unused input be tied by synopsys design compiler automatically?
4) Does the gated clock refer to a clock network that contains Boolean functions other than buffers and inverters in synopsys design compiler?
and Does teh gated clock network have to be explicitly defined in synopsys design compiler?
5)Must the derived clocks be specified explicitly for synthesis in synopsys design compiler?

unused io input

generally speaking,make unused io inputs a fixed value, you can link them gnd

My opinion is to put () for different operators. Although the the evaluation sequence has been defined in HDL languages (both Verilog & VHDL), but I've seen so many tools (simulator, synthesis tools) have non-compliant behavior in various releases.

So it's a good practice to use () to group different operators in your expression.

1)the expression"(a+b<<1)" and "a+(b<<1)" will be sythesized to the same circuits when a, b is more than 1 bit?

if i am not wrong, a+b<<1 means (a+b)<<1, so it is different than a+(b<<1).
DC will synthesis a different logic for the two expression.

2)Is it always better to let synthesis too decide when to use resource sharing based on design constraint?

Base on my experience, it is better you decide the initial architecture for the data flow based on your requirement. new version of DC can do some job for you, but you can not control it.

3)will the unused input be tied by synopsys design compiler automatically?
boundary optimization will remove unnecessary logic, but if you do not specify, the port will be kept, but will not connected.

4) Does the gated clock refer to a clock network that contains Boolean functions other than buffers and inverters in synopsys design compiler?
and Does teh gated clock network have to be explicitly defined in synopsys design compiler?
5)Must the derived clocks be specified explicitly for synthesis in synopsys design compiler?
yes. usually you should seperate clock generator logic from the synthesis since you need other tools or manually handel the clock path.

for 4.

yes, for those logic, both DC and PT antomaticly conisider it as gated_clock if output of the combinational logic connect to Flip-Flop or Latch or Macro's CK port.
we don't need specified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back