Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ARM Cortex-M4 with DSP and floating point what are your apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobsanjose

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
guess this was announced today and thought I share this news with the group. ARM keeps up the pressure on all competitors with continuous innovation in the MCU sector.

Check out the available information here
**broken link removed**
or check the ARM website.

I would be interested what kind of applications the members of this forum might be doing with a microcontroller that otherwise looks like a Cortex-M3, costs about $10 and has floating point and DSP MAC, runs @ 150 MHz......

Just curious

Bob

ARM Cortex-M4, a Cortex-M3 upgrade with DSP and float

Wow,
if there was any benefit for dsPIC over an ARM Cortex, just if, this new core is eliminating it. Thank you for posting. Most applications on this board are stuck with MCUs from the 90s, the Cortex-M4 is a core for the 2010s

Replying to a rather old post. Are you referring to Cortex-M4 or Cortex-M3 ? Looking at Cortex-M3 (above specs) s.a. from NXP, and the Cortex-M4 (which adds single-precision FP instructions, SIMD instructions) along with Eth PHY/HS-FS USB on-chip from Freescale, bring the so-called uC's very close to Application-Processors. At 150MHz, there's a good bit I can do, and good bit I can't. Now I only wish there were good low-cost stamps available. What is disappointing is that most of the stamp-modules are priced way too high, keeping the processors out of reach of everyone but the pros (or very advanced & wealthy hobbyists). Only if the processor manf's would make reasonably priced stamps available, even for some mid-volume applications. NGX Technologies has some, but those are rather low-end M3's, which limits the functionality terribly, esply for folks who are unable to hand-craft super efficient assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.