Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Are Dual Contacts mandatory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swordfish01

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
[solved] Are Dual Contacts mandatory?

Hi,

I'm doing the layout for some circuits for the H35B4 Technology from AMS. Normally I use multiple contacts when layout transistors (e.g. for drain, source etc.), but now I have an inverter that is pretty small (0.8 over 0.35 and 0.4 over 0.35). Should I layout the thing with also two contacts per terminal? Until now I never had the problem, since the transistors where not that small...
We learned to use multiple vias when switching metal layers, there it is not a problem, here it starts to look really awkward, since the contact have a minimum size of 0.4...

Regards,
Andreas

Last edited:

I would strongly recommend doing atleast 2 contacts.. I know its hard/a pain when your in min size transistors but its a good habit to always have atleast two!
Jgk

Hi,

Thanks for your quick answer. I made most of those transistors with two contacts already, but I was wondering whether I could save the area/work to do it...
So be it, let there be contacts :) ...

Regards,
Andreas

I'm doing the layout for some circuits for the H35B4 Technology from AMS. Normally I use multiple contacts ...

... here it starts to look really awkward, since the contact have a minimum size of 0.4...

AFAIR double contacts are not enforced for 0.35µm processes (I think this changed at process sizes ≤ 0.18µm). However: would you risk a yield loss due to a loss of function of this transistor, for such a small win of area?

@erikl: No surely I would not want to have a malfunctioning transistor, but since there is no according design rule I wanted to ask.

This is purely a yield calculation. Personally I don't ever,
but I do double up vias as these are a much lower yielding
chain in my processes. Never seen a contact chain fail.

What is your (say) -3sigma contact yield, how many
single contact devices are in your circuit, and how much
yield does that say you'll eat? If it's sub-%, fuggedaboudit.
10%, start driving the single devices out of the design.

Never seen a contact chain fail.

Designing analog - with usually enough space in our long transistors - we'd probably never see when one of the multiple contacts fail.

What is your (say) -3sigma contact yield, how many
single contact devices are in your circuit, and how much
yield does that say you'll eat? If it's sub-%, fuggedaboudit.
10%, start driving the single devices out of the design.
That's exactly what I wanted to tell! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back