Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arduino GPRS+GSM SIM300 Module+Development Board Ver2 Interfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the green LED (NET) comes on for a few moments on power ON. Then the red SYSTEM LED stays on as the SIM300 boots up.
After receiving the "CALL READY" the green NET light flashes slowly (Every couple of seconds or so).
When I call, the RING LED comes on as expected.

What do the LEDs display on your's sahancr? If it does something completely different could you make a quick vid of the boot up sequence.

It's crazy. Even though I can't get this board up and running, it looks like a great component for such a low price. I'm tempted to unsolder the SIM300 and check the connections underneith.
I've contacted the seller in case he knew it was defective (It was second hand afterall) but as usual they give you the run around!

Input Voltage : 8.0V
Input Current : 700mA

Jumper Settings
P1 - 2-4
P3 - 1-3 AND 6-8

Insert SIM Card

Then power up the module using Power on button.

System LED (Red) : ON
Net LED (Green) : Blinks few seconds and then OFF

It means SIM card is registered to Network.

Then your Module is ready to transmission

I used Micro IDE Terminal

Baud Rate : 115200

PORT : COM1

Data bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop Bits: 1

Handshaking: HARDWARE

Then connect it to the module.

:
AT

OK

(then I gave a call to SIM Card.)

RING

NO CARRIER
(Function LED is Blinking (Middle RED LED))

ATE0

OK

AT + CMGF = 1

OK

AT + CSCS = "GSM"

OK

AT = CMGS = "YOUR MOBILE NUMBER"
> (TYPE YOUR MESSAGE)

+ CMGS: 179

OK

(Change Baud Rate)

IT + IPR = "9600"

OK

After changing the baud Rate you need to connect it again.

I have attached my microcontroller source code for sms sending. please refer it also.

Micro Controller - PIC16F877A
Crystal : 4MHz

Masterleous suggested to me to check the Tx pin of the module. I got a result when I was power on the module.

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

This is the Micro Controller Code
Used Micro C PRO

//#include <uart1.h>//
#include <built_in.h>
char uart_rd;

void main() {

UART1_Init(9600); // Initialize UART module at 9600 bps
TRISB = 0;
PORTB = 0;
Delay_ms(3000); // Wait for UART module to stabilize

UART1_Write_Text("AT+CMGF=1\r"); //text mode
PORTB = 1;
Delay_ms(3000);
UART1_Write_Text("AT+CSCS=\"GSM\"\r");
PORTB = 0;
Delay_ms(3000);
UART1_Write_Text("AT+CMGS=");
PORTB = 1;
Delay_ms(3000);
UART1_Write_Text("\"Mobile No\"\r");
PORTB = 0;
Delay_ms(3000);
Delay_ms(3000);
//if((modem_Check(">",1)==0))
UART1_Write_Text("MESSAGE");
PORTB = 1;
Delay_ms(3000);
//UART1_Write_Text("\r\x1A");
UART1_Write(0x1A);
PORTB = 0;
Delay_ms(3000);

/*while (1) { // Endless loop
if (UART_Data_Ready()) { // If data is received,
uart_rd = UART_Read(); // read the received data,
UART_Write(uart_rd); // and send data via UART
}
}*/
}

Don't use maximum speed of 115K baud rate, use 9600 or 19K as they have low errors. you may get alot of error in using these module in real world with other devices.

Do one more thing some settings are set to be permanent, So their is no such things required. You have to set some basic settings one and Send one command to set all Setting to store in a permanent memory ROM by using this command.

AT&W

Before using this command you may set so many values like.

ATE0
AT + IFC = 1,1
AT + IPR = 9600
AT + CSCS = "GSM"

AT&W

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:30 ----------

Yes, the green LED (NET) comes on for a few moments on power ON. Then the red SYSTEM LED stays on as the SIM300 boots up.
After receiving the "CALL READY" the green NET light flashes slowly (Every couple of seconds or so).
When I call, the RING LED comes on as expected.

STATUS LED must be blink in every 3 seconds, if not than check SIM Registration to network using SIM in an ordinary mobile and try to send SMS and make CALL. After SIM confirmation check SIM with module, it must be 3 Second blinks, if it is blinking in every 1 second than Test your SIM with mobile.

Don't unsold SIM300, as re-soldering is not easy, Do all check i had told earlier clearly and troubleshoot step by step, these troubleshooting do not need panic, as you may give damage to your board or your PC.

Are you using USB to RS232 converter, if yes than check it first. You are getting response from SIM300, it means Rx is clear, but you are not sending commands to it. Check TX connections and required jumpers as mention in above uploaded picture with powered OFF.

Re-read all my post carefully.

LED Status are same.

Still I didn't get RDY command. But it works. to 115200 baud rate my module start responds to the AT Commands. then I changed the baud rate to 9600.

Sim300 soldering is very difficult. I've contacted the seller last week. But he didn't have an idea about configuration of the module.

Please read masterleous's posts. He have a good experience about this module. Please confirm your module, PC and cable transmission status using LED test.

Wow, finally a Topic about this GPRS Module.

I have the same, Board Ver2. More than 1 month but I couldn't make it work.

I'm giving it power by P5 VCC and GND getting from Arduino's 5V and GND.

I'm trying to use it with TTL (P2), but I couldn't. I have P1 in 2-4, and have tried P3 with 1-3 6-8, 2-4 5-7, 3-4 5-6 (the only that one time gave me some rare values in console), have tried with 9600, 19200, etc, but doesn't work!. I'm connecting from P2 4 to Arduino 3 and P2 1 to Arduino 4.

Script is same that is posted in this Topic, and also GPRS example (from Arduino IDE).

What am I doing bad? :(

Regards.....

Hi Gatech,

As you probably read in these posts I had trouble with this style of board as well. I've since bought a new board (No, I didn't get my money back for the last one :( ) and this one works well. After all my trouble shooting of my last one I have a good understanding of how these boards work now. (In my case, I traced the problem down to the leads from the SIM300 chip)

I can get my board communicating with both PC & Arduino serial, so I can give you the how-to on that. I'll check my notes/schema tonight; I can't remember the pin descriptions ATM.
I translated the schematics from Chinese into English which gave a few insights, this may be worth doing yourself if you're desperate, or I can send a copy later.

A few things to think about in the meantime:
- 5V is not enough to run the board & SIM300 chip. You will need standalone power, I use 12V/1A. Annoying I know, but you can't run it directly from the Arduino. Thankfully the plug is standard so a different power supply will work (of the right voltage of course!) Without the right voltage, either the board won't work, or it will crash as soon as the SIM300 chip draws power (it uses a lot of Amps when it trys to connect to the phone network)

- Have you tried connecting it to your PC? (I think you have by your comment "I'm trying to use it with TTL (P2), but I couldn't.")

- The GPRS example in the Arduino IDE won't work. It's designed for a different board, so we're out of luck there.

Final thing. These boards are obviously made in someone's back yard, so they may be faulty (I know from personal experience!). It's sad but true, we get what we pay for.

I'll update soon.

Cheer,

Thanks SthAusGuy. I'll wait for your notes. Are you sure it needs 12V/1A??. I read that it can need 2A, but at 5V, now I'm confused!.

Thanks man...

Hi Gatech,

First thing, are we using the same board? Here is a ebay link to the one I'm talking **broken link removed**
The notes from the seller say to use 12v/1A (see above link) and that is what I've been using and it works on my new board. Could you post the notes that came with yours?

Here is the Schematic for the Sim300 board that came with mine - Translated from chinese/japanese (Google seems to switch between the two) .
SIM300_AUTO_Translated1.gif

Thanks. Is the SAME Board. (I didn't have any note of it). I'll try with 12V-1A. What pins do you recommend to use TTL? And how to test with Arduino?. You say example script won't work :S

Awesome, there are a lot of similarly named boards out there, so it can get confusing.

If you have no notes/manual, how do you know it needs 5V-2A? Just a thought, if you're powering it via your Arduino, Arduino boards only supply about 500mA (if that) so that may be a problem too.

I would start by connecting it directly to your PC (via plug J6 on the board) if you have serial cable. And then use one of the terminal programs mentioned on this thread to monitor the port that the board is plugged into. Set the pins on the board to those for PC-SIM300 in the schematics and see if you can communicate to the board via the terminal. The baud rate may not be set at 9600 so try a few different rates and see if you get a response.

If we can do that, we can try using the Arduino. It can be connected using the pin set up MCU-SIM300 (TTL) in the schematics.

If you need a clearer copy, send us a private message and I can email them.

Hey SthAusGuy and all:

I bought a 12V 1200mA adapter, and plugged, now it's working.

I found a Serial cable (That connects in the Board on COMM2).

I downloaded Terminal from Br@y++, connected at some Baud Rates, the only working was 115200, and the only thing I get from GPRS is "Call Ready". But LED is blinking every sec and if I call it, I have "Phone is Off". It's the same simcard from my cellphone, so it's working...

I type AT, and a lot of commands, NO RESPONSE...

What is happening, do you know?. I think it needs ~ 2A :(

Regards.

Last edited:

Hey SthAusGuy and all:

I bought a 12V 1200mA adapter, and plugged, now it's working.

I found a Serial cable (That connects in the Board on COMM2).

I downloaded Terminal from Br@y++, connected at some Baud Rates, the only working was 115200, and the only thing I get from GPRS is "Call Ready". But LED is blinking every sec and if I call it, I have "Phone is Off". It's the same simcard from my cellphone, so it's working...

I type AT, and a lot of commands, NO RESPONSE...

What is happening, do you know?. I think it needs ~ 2A :(

Regards.

Do these setting first

ATE0
AT + IFC = 1,1
AT + IPR = 9600
AT + CSCS = "GSM"

AT&W

Than you need a restart of sim300, and connect with Br@y++ terminal with 9600,

If you are getting cointinous LED Blinks per second, than check your SIM with an ordinary mobile, Your SIM has to be work on mobile, than insert that in this module, If found same one second blinking than you have to check antenna cable and connection. Actually you are not registering with Mobile Network with SIM300.

I hope this may help you.

Hello.

As I told on before post, When I Type a command I get NO ANSWER from GPRS.

I wrote
ATE0
AT + IFC = 1,1
AT + IPR = 9600
AT + CSCS = "GSM"

AT&W

One per one, no answer between them, and restarted. Same thing.... when I press the black button 2 secs I only get "NORMAL POWER DOWN". Only receive answer at 115200. No changes.

What is happening :S

Hello.

As I told on before post, When I Type a command I get NO ANSWER from GPRS.

I wrote
ATE0
AT + IFC = 1,1
AT + IPR = 9600
AT + CSCS = "GSM"

AT&W

One per one, no answer between them, and restarted. Same thing.... when I press the black button 2 secs I only get "NORMAL POWER DOWN". Only receive answer at 115200. No changes.

What is happening :S

i think their is an issue with your circuit, you are recieving from dev board, but you are unable to send back your command, does your board contain any jumper setting on Tx and Rx connection? if this is than you have to check this and do correct settings. If it has MAX232 IC for PC Connection than do a countinuty test on MAX232 to PC connecter.

Its better for you to show board schematic diagram here for better judgement.

The same as talked on all this thread :

I have P3 connected 1-3 and 6-8 so it should be working well I think.

:S

The same as talked on all this thread :

I have P3 connected 1-3 and 6-8 so it should be working well I think.

:S

I remembered that i answered in that thread too, describe your jumper settings of P3, your jumper setting is surely wronge

Please help!!

IMG_3178.jpg

I think Serial cable can be wrong. I'll look for another.

Please help!!

IMG_3178.jpg

I think Serial cable can be wrong. I'll look for another.

First of all check your P3 jumper and do proper jumper setting

For Board to PC interface:

1. Connect Jumper 3 and 1, as PC Tx must be connected to SIM300 Rx
2. Connect Jumper 8 and 6, as PC Rx must be connected to SIM300 Tx

Than start your module and do necessary things.

From your previous post, i am getting result that you was recieving reponse from SIM module but was not not able to send commands. Do proper jumper settings as i have said and test it, i hope you will get response.

Best of luck

masterleous

Hi,

Im new to this thread and this sort of h/w stuff and i followed this thread from the beginning..
actually i got an project to work on this GPRS module as you'll mentioned above. I bought the same H/w equipment and power supply too. it powers up too and works perfect as i think. since i don't have much knowledge in electronic stuff i really want to know is it good , if i use RS232 to USB converter plug it to PC ?
And ,in my project i got 16F877a mic-controller , i need to connect it to this equipment , how can i do that ?
reply me

Regards
Bogika

Status
Not open for further replies.