Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Appropriate surface mount dc to dc converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boylesg

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am after an appropriate dc to dc converter for the purpose of making a gps pet collar.

I am planning to make a prototype with an arduino mini so I need a component whose associated other components are no bigger than one of these.

I would imagine a device capable of supplying a couple of hundred mA would be adequate.

I am familiar with LM2576 but this device would be overkill for such a project and too big with its associated components.

Any suggestions?

Preferably a device that is not so small that soldering it with a regular soldering iron is impossible.

Hi,

I recommended this so often:
There are many manufacturers of DCDC conversion IC.
Because they are interested in selling their products they help to choose the right part with interactive online selection guides.

One of them is LT...just as an example (without saying LT is better or worse than other manufacturers)
https://www.linear.com/products/switching_regulator

Usually those regulators with higher switching frequency need smaller inductors.
But they need more careful pcb layout design, and maybe they have higher current consumption at lower loads.

Klaus

What will be the input voltage to the converter? if it not not much higher than the 5V Arduino input maybe you ca use a regulator.

Hello,

I suppose your supply will be around 9V as it's a quite small power supply. However, it won't even exceed 30V, I think.

Have you tried MC34063? Take a look at this datasheet MC34063A It can found in SOIC8 package, pretty small and easy to solder.

You will find the schematic and values in that link. Maybe some modifications could be done to increase efficieny as it's a battery powered device.

Hope being useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back