Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any way to build custom firmware for a Wifi SD Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truax

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Noob question here: I'm trying to find a way to use customized firmware on a SD WiFi card.

Many SD Cards like the **broken link removed** have a built in Wi-Fi hotspot, and a web server to provide HTTP access to files on the card. For my project I need to tailor a few option like where the configuration data is read from, and disabling the power down timeouts.

I'd imagine you could get access to firmware source code, or make OEM custom requests like this if you order tons of units, but I'd be looking to buy a 100 or so.

Know of any hardware you can get in low volume that allows customizing the firmware like this?

thanks -

I think this card runs Linux /ARM chipset?/ in upgrade mode.
https://www.flu-card.com/
I think the firmware was deleloped by using Sourcery G++ Lite for ARM EABI

Last edited:

Hi Yura,

I think I understand. You're saying that "upgrade mode" means I can overwrite the existing firmware and replace it with my own ARM EABI project?

Wouldn't this require knowing the details of what WiFi hardware was used and having a library for it?

I write a lot of traditional software, but am just now learning about embedded development.

Regards -

I think this card runs Linux /ARM chipset?/ in upgrade mode.
https://www.flu-card.com/
I think the firmware was deleloped by using Sourcery G++ Lite for ARM EABI

I guess this card has WiFi Model : Murata 11n chipset
You can uziped it ...
$ cat initramfs3cc.gz |tail -c 2450418 > initramfs3cc-tmp.gz
I think you can write your app and integrate to firmware

Last edited:

If there is a source for a Linux driver available, you should be able to use the source code to develop your own driver for your particular app.

Actually after rereading your original post, I'm not sure I full understand what your goals are for this project.

Are you attempting to incorporate a WiFi SD card with a microcontroller, so that you can store files/data which can be retrieved using the http interface of the card from the embedded system?

Perhaps developing your version of the Electric Imp.

Hands-On With Imp, the Wi-Fi Card That Wants to Power Your ‘Internet of Things’

BigDog

@yura717 - cool, thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

@BigDog: the Imp looks very cool, but I'm not sure it will work.

The scenario is an off the shelf appliance logs data to it's own SD card, and has no wireless capability.

The idea is to insert a new SD card with WiFi capability. That way the appliance can continue to log it's data, and other systems can periodically retrieve it's data over wireless.

Someone has to have done this, no?

If there is a source for a Linux driver available, you should be able to use the source code to develop your own driver for your particular app.

Actually after rereading your original post, I'm not sure I full understand what your goals are for this project.

Are you attempting to incorporate a WiFi SD card with a microcontroller, so that you can store files/data which can be retrieved using the http interface of the card from the embedded system?

Perhaps developing your version of the Electric Imp.

Hands-On With Imp, the Wi-Fi Card That Wants to Power Your ‘Internet of Things’

BigDog

@BigDog: the Imp looks very cool, but I'm not sure it will work.

The scenario is an off the shelf appliance logs data to it's own SD card, and has no wireless capability.

The idea is to insert a new SD card with WiFi capability. That way the appliance can continue to log it's data, and other systems can periodically retrieve it's data over wireless.

Someone has to have done this, no?

I did not imply the Electric Imp was a solution to your needs, just a similar concept.

I may have come across similar data loggers in the past.

I'll see if I can find them again and post any info which may interest you in this thread.

BigDog

Thanks again Yura -

If you or anyone you know wants help more Ill pay a bounty on it, and also send the SD WiFi to test and keep afterwards.

I'm sure I could eventually piece things together but it would be slow, and I've still got to finish the app that talks to it :).

I guess this card has WiFi Model : Murata 11n chipset
You can uziped it ...
$ cat initramfs3cc.gz |tail -c 2450418 > initramfs3cc-tmp.gz
I think you can write your app and integrate to firmware

Actually I found a press release stating a WiFi SD Card company has released a developers API:

Eye-Fi starting up a developer program, will have some APIs open for business this fall

Eye-Fi also hosts a forum which is frequented by many developers across a broad spectrum of fields:

**broken link removed**

You may want to contact them and inquire about their Developer API program:

Eye-Fi Website

It appears they use eCOS as the base OS for their firmware, I'm actually quite familiar with eCOS and have used it in several projects.

**broken link removed**

BigDog

I think RedBoot console is not available on WIFI SD card? Am I right?

I think RedBoot console is not available on WIFI SD card? Am I right?

Are you referring to the Eye-Fi SD Card?

Apparently, the Atheros AR6001XL of which the Eye-Fi SD Card is based, features a RISC processor (MIPS core), 512KB of Flash, UART, EJTAG, GPIO, SDIO, SPI and I2S interfaces as well as external Serial FLASH, Parallel FLASH, SRAM.

Designed to run eCOS:

eCOS BSP – Basic Kernel
- Atheros Radio Test module
- Firmware upgrade
- Basic Boot Module Interface

I also found and interesting blog dedicated to Eye-Fi hacking:

Linux and Eye-Fi Hacking

It appears we've lost Traux.

BigDog

Are you referring to the Eye-Fi SD Card?

Apparently, the Atheros AR6001XL of which the Eye-Fi SD Card is based, features a RISC processor (MIPS core), 512KB of Flash, UART, EJTAG, GPIO, SDIO, SPI and I2S interfaces as well
Any wifi sd card .... my question is ... these WIFI cards can use boot loaders such redboot or U-boot ... on WRT routers I can get access to U-boot menu by using serial port on router.
If WIFI cards have no physical connectors for UART , how I can connect to Uboot menu? I think its not possible?
I understand the connection to Uboot can be done by wifi link ... but how to stop booting process before uboot will start loading Linux kernel?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back