Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any users of CircuitMaker 2000 still around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrypin

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm a hobbyist with hundreds of CM 2000 Pro schematics and still comfortable with using that ancient program. So I'm hoping that there remain a few ex CM 2000 users here who might be able to help me with a frustrating problem please.

With a working schematic loaded that simulates normally I use File > Export > Spice netlist . But when imported it does not simulate. I get just an empty black window. It's been many years, but I have done this successfully before.

(My motivation in using the import facility is because I'm considering learning how to use LT Spice for simulation of CM generated schematics, as it's not only more versatile but also has a vastly larger user base!)

Can anyone advise what might be causing this issue please?

Terry, UK

I sometimes get the same problem with the simulator I use. Some little thing can bring up a blank screen where there once was a schematic.

LTSpice files have the suffix .asc. If you're lucky It can open old netlists if you change file type to .asc. However can we expect a netlist made by 20 year-old software to be readable by a free software today?

If that doesn't work then use a text editor to open versions of the same circuit built in each simulator. Look for differences between the netlists.

* See if components are represented by the same character.

* See if the same quantity of parameters describe a component.

* See if supply rails are designated by similar parameters.

* See if wires have a similar spread of XY locations.
Etc.

Also look at the list of CircuitMaker related threads further down this page.

Thanks for that helpful reply. I’ll follow up your suggestions, in parallel with becoming more comfortable with LT Spice.

Still love to solve the mystery of why CM cannot import its own spice netlist though! I thought maybe running it in various compatibility modes might fix it. But tried XP2, XP3, even 95 in vain. Got the same result on my ancient shed workshop XP PC. Hate unsolved puzzles so might try reinstalling CM 2000 Pro.

Since a file comes up as a blank screen, then display settings are a possibility to look into. Or anything that has changed in the last twenty years.

* Pixel width, pixel height.
* Number of colors (thousands versus millions, etc.)
* Refresh rate (50 or 60 or 75, etc.)
* monitor connectivity (DVI, hdmi, ADC, vga, etc.)

Thanks, but that’s ruled out in view of the problem applying on both PCs.

I’m hoping that someone who still has CM 2000 Pro installed will try to reproduce the issue.

Sorted!

In the sci.electronics.design user group, another rare CM 2000 user (I was beginning to think I was the only one!) reproduced the issue but came up with the answer. In case any other user ends up here, the solution is sort of obvious once you know it:

When the saved netlist has been imported and the blank black window is displayed, you should go to the box named 'Waveforms' in the left panel. That's where the net points are listed. Click on any line followed by the 'Show' button. The screen will then display the waveform at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back