Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any good methode to measure matureness of an avocado

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltg

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I was asked to design a device that it could measure matureness of fruit avocado. I tried to google but found nothing about how to measure it. Could you please suggest me any good methode how to measure? Is ultrasound a methode I can use? I think this kind of project is funny. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Alex

I think you need to measure the resistance of the fruit. I use similar method with flowers

First i want to specify that this project is amazing :) Yes you can use ultrasound imaging for this job. You can place a mature avocados in front of the ultrasonic transmitter than take the reflected waves to define the specialities of mature avocados. Then you can compare the avocados with your results. I think by this way you can obtain something.

Funny maybe - but VERY commercial.
A lot of effort goes into keeping fruit/veg fresh during transport including
special porous plastics to seal their packaging with.

Being able to monitor how things are going could be a very lucrative
project for you on top of the more obvious sorting at the growers end.

Don't forget gas sensors. I don't know about Avocados but banannas for example give off a specific ripening gas.

jack

Funny maybe - but VERY commercial.
A lot of effort goes into keeping fruit/veg fresh during transport including
special porous plastics to seal their packaging with.

Being able to monitor how things are going could be a very lucrative
project for you on top of the more obvious sorting at the growers end.

Don't forget gas sensors. I don't know about Avocados but banannas for example give off a specific ripening gas.

jack

It is possible to develop such system, based on transmission of ultrasonic waves through fruit. We have collected some experience with this topic and would be able to develop such equipment.

If you are interested, please contact me.

W. Bicz
link removed

How do you couple the ultrasonic wave into the avo?
Do you use petroleum jelly ?
How does the ripeness effect the ultrasonic wave? Does it change the propagation speed?
Is the test totally non destructive?

How do you couple the ultrasonic wave into the avo?
Do you use petroleum jelly ?
How does the ripeness effect the ultrasonic wave? Does it change the propagation speed?
Is the test totally non destructive?
The best way to couple ultrasound is to use immersion in water.
Ripeness changes the speed of sound, but also the attenuation. It is not sufficient to check only one way, but a kind of picture (cross section) would be necessary.
The necessary device will be not very simple, but quite effective and quick.

W. Bicz
link removed

What about the hardness or the firmness of the avocado?

An unripe fruit is firm and hard, it softens as it gets ripe. An over ripe fruit is very soft.

How would you measure hardness in a non destructive way ?

How would you measure hardness in a non destructive way ?

Using ultrasonic waves it is easy, because both sound speed and attenuation are changing strongly, depending on the hardness (ripeness) but to achieve proper results some additional measurements must be made. They can be also made with ultrasound. This means: to achieve the goal, you must build a device, that is not very simple - not with one transducer.

W. Bicz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back