Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna gain enhancement by superstrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmily0447

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am now designing a microstrip antenna. Gain enhancement is required.

Can anyone adivse that how I can enhance the gain by the application of superstrate? I mean that the specifications of the superstrate, like the permittivity and the thickness of the superstrate.

Thanks in advance.

did u mean substrate??
if u mean that with low loss material u will achieve that

Hello

Dear ferdows,Substrate is the material that is used between two conducting layers where superstrate is the layer that is on top of the conducting layer to increase the gain,bandwidth etc.so there are two different things.

May be you should look into the below papers
D. R. Jackson and N. G. Alexopoulos, “Gain Enhancement
Methods for Printed Circuit Antennas,” IEEE Trans. Antennas
Propagat., vol. 33, no. 9, Sept. 1985, pp.976-987.
2.H. Y. Yang and N. G. Alexopoulos, “Gain Enhancement Methods
for Printed Circuit Antennas through Multiple Superstrates,” IEEE
Trans. Antennas Propagat., vol. 35, no. 7, July 1987, pp.860-863.
and attached is a paper for your reference. please have a look at it and see if its helpful,if not we can look in further.

Best Regards
Sajid Mohammed.

Attachments

• microstrip_Gain_enchancement.pdf
    329.5 KB · Views: 145
You can increase antenna gain by adding a dielectric lens to a microstrip antenna. It need to have a specific dielectric constant and shape.

I suspect you could also make a lens using a superstrate with some sort of printed metal pattern forming a metamaterial.

Thanks so much.

---------- Post added at 09:20 ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 ----------

Thank you!!

with increase the layers you able increase gain and design an lens model for your stack antenna or you can use a metal plane under your antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back