Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna, antenna feed and losses

Status
Not open for further replies.

zainka

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I youst wondered

I have seen some designs around where the matched antenna is placed somewhat offside according to the pcb with a radio module often seen nowadays (like radiometrics, linx and so on, no specific), and between the antenna input/output of the module, and the antenna itself, I have seen there has been used a simple wire with no screen/shield on it to conect the items.

Wouldn't this affect the.. well i am not to clever with the terminology, but the antenna impedance and effectivity of the system. wouldn't this extra non shielded wire actually become a part of the antenna???

joust asking since I am into a similar project my self using a lynx transceiver.

Certainly the effect of this simple wire with no screen/shield deeply impact the matching condition: you need to have a 50 phm cable/wire to connect the antenna to the receiver. Regarding your question regarding the possibility to "become a part of antenna" it's depend on the type the antenna to use (no if the antenna is a patch), from the frequency and so on. For sure I don't work with wire without ground or shield.

By

A simple wire (shielded or not, with or without ground) is equivalent with a parasitic inductance.
If the designer integrates this inductance into the matching network of the antenna, the loss through this wire will be minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back