Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Another 4-20mA to 0.6-3.0V conversion problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpathma

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
4 20ma conversion

Hi, Guy,

I need to design an input circuit to convert the 4-20mA to 0.6 to 3.0 Volt.

I have constructed a circuit using IN326, I set the gain to 150.

The current loop 4-20mA will be feed to 75+1ohm resistor, the voltage drop across the 1ohm will be feed to IN326. The 75ohm is connected to have 75ohm input impedance for the 4-20mA current loop.

The circuit works if the IN326 is powered from Battery and the 4-20mA is source from portable current injector (which is also battery powered)

MY PROBLEM;
1. the moment I connect the scope to the ground pin of IN326, the output started to fluctuate.

2. if I the input from a bench-top current injector, the problem happened.

I think I have a problem with common mode. But do not know how to resolve it.

My Question;
1. Should I used the IN326. I wanted to protect my ADC chip from input, so, the OP was used.

2. is there any other PROVEN circuit that can do the task needed

I need to used this into industrial environment

PLEASE HELP ME. I HAVE BURN MANY CANDLES.

4 20 ma current schematic

I do not see any reason that it can not work. Are you using a schematic as shown in figure 8? I would try that one, but with the power supply supplied thru the dotted line, and the connection between Rs and Pin 7 broken. I would use a couple capacitors on pin 7 (.1 uF and maybe 4.7 uF to start). Sometimes the wire length to reach a bench power supply has enough inductance to make an op amp oscillate.

In that schematic Rs would be 1 ohm, and Rl would be 75.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.