Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anemometer (wind speed sensor) design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fe(II)man

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey Guys,

I am working on building a fairly simple yet effective and accurate wind speed sensor for a weather station of mine.

I know there are tons of these projects on the internet however this particular part of my project forms part of a massive project, I can't afford to dedicate too much of time to this particular component as I have a deadline to meet.

I have researched techniques such as ultrasonic sensing. It seems pretty good, however the projects I have seen, these sensors are pretty complex.

I was hoping someone could shed some light on this for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also I have an idea of my own but I am not sure if it work, I want to have the wind turn a blade that cuts the beam of a photo-interrupter. and from this obtain an RPM for the blade, and thereafter convert that RPM to a wind speed. I am not too sure about the specifics of the technical details, however I do know there will be some resolution issues to cater for.

Any help will be appreciated
Thanks in advance

If you can mount a magnet onto the wind wheel you easly can use a hall switch or small encoder to get x pulses per rotation. Then you need to calculate the speed with a microcontroller. You could use also an air flow sensor. The simples methode I think is the bike computer.

Enjoy your design work!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey there,

Thanks for the reply, I am considering the magnet with the hall switch. I am not too sure about the encoder as I haven't worked with one of those as yet. But I will definitely keep my options open.

For now I am researching the magnet + hall technique. If you have seen any good application documentation for this technique, could you please point me in its direction?

Thanks very much

For the blade, you might use a computer fan such as shown here. The trick is finding a fan that turns very easily with no magnetic "cogging" effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.