Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analysing a coaxial to rectangle waveguide transitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandruska

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
coaxial-to-waveguide transition design

I am Analysing a coaxial to rectangle waveguide transitions and the results of the parameters S11 and S21 aren't corrects.
I am using rectangles for aproximating the coaxials and I'm using like excitation, lumped ports (internal to waveguide). Waveguide material is vacuum, and I haven't assigned any Boundary to the design. With this, the results of parameters S11 and S21 in the range of 11-15 GHz are wrong in the order of -10dB, why?. (please, see the design)

Thank's for all.

Could you provide the dimensions of the coaxial and rectangular waveguide?

Actually I didnt get much information about your setting of excitation and lunmped port, I can only base on what I guessed from ur figure.
And also you can connect the coax pin out with coaxial line, then can use wave port outside the waveguide, we can catch all information about the mode transition.
Best Regards,

sandruska

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
sry, figure missed

sandruska

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

I do not have enough points to read your document. I assume you are using HFSS. First, I would recommend to use Waveports with Driven Modal solution. Make sure you set enough modes for the port, otherwise you would get incorrect results.

Second, why are you approximating coaxials with Rectangles ? HFSS deals with true surfaces easily. You can even control the surface approxiamtion using mesh operations..

Third, I do not understand your boundary conditions ...
From the HFSS menu click Boundary Display (Solver view). Make sure the boundary conditions are as you expected. The default outer boundary condition is PEC (Perfect Electric Conductor).

Itai

itaifrenkel said:
Hi,

Second, why are you approximating coaxials with Rectangles ? HFSS deals with true surfaces easily. You can even control the surface approxiamtion using mesh operations..

Itai
I am trying to answer this question to u. ^_^
when the size of the waveguide is electric large in terms of wavelength, the shape of the coaxial pin has less influence on the mode field distribution inside the waveguide. it's function is to provide the excitation.
And in HFSS mesh process, you can see the aspect ratio of the coaxial pin (if you use cylinder) is very bad. it will crazyly increase the number of unkonwns(time and memory consuming). So we can see lots of this kind of substistution of cylinder with rectangular (cubic) object with nice accuracy of simulation.
Best Regards,

asdfaaa said:
sry, figure missed

I'm sorry but I don't understand the figure. Where I would draw the port?. I need to draw the excitation in the rectangles of the figure (aproximations to coaxial).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back