Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analog power for digital ICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

spman

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

Some digital ICs (such as PHY) have multiple powers; analog and digital
I have seen in schematics that the power of circuit (for example output of a regulator) is directly given to digital power of IC and also after passing from a inductor is given to analog power.

What characteristics should have analog and digital powers?
Why these ICs have separated powers?
What does the inductor do?
What will happen if the inductor is not used? Won't work properly?

Regards

Hi,

I hope this information is helpful to you..

As far I know the sole purpose of using Inductor is used to produce stable current( assume as a filter) by smoothening current if there is any peak overshoots.

Though in schematic it looks like a two different powers(analog and digital), internally both will be shorted in the PCB, but the analog and digital grounds are provided differently to avoid the noises for the digital sources.

As power supply current may vary the inductor is used in series with the supply. It works even without inductor but its better be on the safer side since it may damage the circuits..

Reactions: spman

spman

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back