Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC power bench supply for home

Winsu

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I have a a isolator transformer and a Variac and I have been using that at home as a AC power supply. I would like to get something a bit more professional but I dont want to expend loadson money on a AC professional PSU( I can't find anything cheaper than 1500 dollars).

The main feature I am looking for is a current limiter integrated in the power supply.

Also with my current equipment ( transformer and variac) how could I make it safer?

Any ideas welcome, thanks
Winsu

Hi,

Generally: you say 1500 dollars (US?) but don´t give any specification. Output voltage range, voltage resolution, max current, frequency, waveform, distortion..but also input voltage, size, ...

1) current limiter for AC is not that simple ... and sometimes it´s not what you want.
* When the current limiter is fast then it just cut´s off the to of the sine. High distortion. And the risk for remaining DC - which may be counterproductive on connected inductors.
* Doing a "slow" current limiter by reducing sine amplitude ... ist rather difficult, does not work on short time overcurrent, thus does not give the same protection level. There might remain high current peaks.
* On some loads a current limiter is counterproductive at all. Like when a SMPS is connected as load: then the ovrcurrent makes the RMS voltage to drop (in either case) and thus the SMPS draws even more current .. so you get an avalange effect and will result in complete stall or hick up mode.

2) Safer: In which regrad?

3) "a bit more professional": In which regard? just the current limiter? I guess you want some features that the current solution does not provide. But you missed to tell us.

Klaus

Safer generally speaking when operating with line voltages would be an isolation
transformer ?

What are the loads you are generally working with, Resistive, Inductive, types,
lighting, motor.....?

Regards, Dana.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back