Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amplifier unilateral assumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldynasa

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hiall, the unilateral assumption is validated with the U factor which indicate the difference in the outcoming gain. But there could still be a big difference in optimal source reflection and load reflection coeff even though U remains small. How will the choice between unilateral and bilateral design affect other parameters like S11,S22 or bandwidth?

Any advice is appreciated.:)

Last edited:

Please tell me which technology you are using (integrated, pcb) and at which frequency

My experience says that for microwave design the unilateral assumption does never hold. So I would not recommend using this approximation in this frequency range.

It's a discrete amplifier, working at X band. But even if I turned the frequency down a little bit in the simulation, say S band, it's still not working.

That's normal because the device is not unilateral in this frequency range. But no issue: Read any good textbook on microwave amplifier design and you can learn the methodologies involved. I recommend "Microwave Transistor Amplifier" from Gonzalez.

You can use conjugate match at input and output but be careful that the stability is maintained and stability (K-factor) should be ok for ALL frequencies, not just your operating range.

Reactions: ldynasa

ldynasa

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back