Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amplifier class D error schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArnaudMARTIN

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am trying to simulate an class D amplifier, to try it on board after.
When i add 50 Ohms Serial Resistance of Vcc+(12V) , the output of CMOS isn't very nice.

Could you help me to improve the schematic of these amplifier ?

Thank you for your help.

Arnaud

Attachments

• classeD.zip
    8.3 KB · Views: 93

Hi,

I don't open .zip files with unknown content. Upload a screenshot / .png using the [insert image] button

Explain more, maybe in the screenshot, about the resistor.
Explain what "output of CMOS" means.
Explain what "isn't very nice" means. Draw a sketch.

Klaus

Sorry, for the last upload.
Here, my schematic :
1649879887363.png

And the scope of Vinv et Voutb without Rser on V3 :
1649879981877.png

And the same simulation with Rser :
1649880039575.png

Hi,

May I ask why you added Rser at all? It makes no sense in my eyes.

Klaus

The desigh flaw is to drive complementary MOSFET by the same gate signal without generating any dead time. Massive cross conduction expected.

Tank you for your answers.
I change Rser to 1 Ohm, but it's right that the current is too high in MOSFET during commutation.

1649921722143.png

Can i improve that ?

Thank you for your help.

Hi,

as already mentioned: This is cross conduction because of unsuitable circuit.
--> use a complementary N-Ch MOSFET driver including dead time.

I recommend to read some "class D design" application notes, to avoid re-inventing the wheel and loosing much time and performance.
Many years ago I´ve read some good IR (International Rectifier) ones, now Infineon.

Or even simpler: Use ready to buy power stages. (includes: driver, dead time, bootstrap, MOSFETs, maybe some protection features)

Klaus

Thank you vert much for your answers.
Si if i understood, I must choose an other driver with dead time) and maybe use only 2 mosfet N if thé driver have an inverting and no-inverting output.

Have you got an référence of à driver like that ?

Have a good day

Arnaud

Hi,

usually it´s the other way round: you choose the MOSFETs and according them combined with the applications´s requirements you choose the driver.

I guess there are several thousands of drivers. Which one to choose depends on the application. If there was a "one for all", then there was no need for thousands others.

Again: Read/watch application notes and tutorials (or consider to pay someone to designing it for you)
At least this is what I´d do if I were on your place.

Klaus

I found a new mosfet driver for half bridge application with dead time. I would like simulate it, but i have an error during simulation : time step too small.
My new schematic :

1649944820173.png

Adn the start of waveform before error :
1649944869510.png

1649944920572.png

Hi,

please read the IR2108 datasheet carefully. It shouldn´t be that hard, because it just needs a couple of external components.
--> it needs a bootstrap capacitor

--> also D1 needs to be defined.

Since the simulation is not realistic according power supplies, I strongly recommend adding the power supply capacitors in the simulation, otherwise there is a risk to forget to include them in the real circuit. The real circuit won´t work reliably without power supply capacitors.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.