Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AMBA AHB-lite preventing a bus lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaiko

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have a question about a master to slave transfer on an AHB-lite bus.
Suppose, an AHB-lite master initiates a transfer to an AHB-lite slave.
If the slave can respond at once, everything goes fine.
But if it takes the slave many cycles to do the job the slave must issue an HREADY='0' for as long as it's busy - This action would cause a bus lockup for a long period!

On a full AHB bus (not AHB lite) the way around it is using split transfers, but an AHB-lite doesn't support split transfers...Is there a way around it?

you can add extra logic to wrapper the AHB-lite bus to support the operation!

Reactions: shaiko

shaiko

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
If this causes a bus lock up, it is still according to the protocol. I mean there is no violation of the protocol.

Are you having any problems with this? Please explain in detail.

Hi tariq786,

I don't have a protocol problem - everything works fine. However, I was looking for an additional functionality - what I need can be best described as "slave generated interrupts".
I now see that the AHB doesn't have inbuilt support for such action and it seems like slave polling is the only option - or implementig the interrupts via out of bus logic.

It's a shame that such support isn't part of the protocol itself.

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:12 ----------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back