Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AM transmitter antenna problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiwi

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have built an AM transmitter using colpitts oscillator in the following link:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:NPN_Colpitts_oscillator_base_coil.png

and i was applying the decoupled audio signal to the base of Q1 and the values for C1, C2 and L were 1n , 10n , and 50uH respectively to get about 700 KHz carrier frequency. i could see the AM signal clearly displayed on the oscilloscope , but when i tried to receive it in a radio i could not hear the audio signal sound unless i touch the antenna with my hand , when i do touch the antenna i hear a very clear and loud voice and it has a high range . when i leave the antenna i cant hear anything .
Is there anything i can do to handle that problem ?

the antenna i use is one from an old radio and i connected it to about 30 cm of wire directly to the emitter of Q1

thanks

Last edited:

please take a look at the following AM tr :

http://english.cxem.net/radiomic/bug15.php

as said in the last row it does not need an antenna or using just 30 cm will increase the range . does this imply that the output signal power in this circuit is larger than that of my circuit ? what do u expect the range of this circuit be ?

True the power of this design is higher than your transmitter's design

Bit range can't be altered drastically a little improvement is very much likely to happen

Every Circuit uses DC power input to increase the power of AC signal

Here the second ckt uses a 9V supply and considerable dissipation by the resistors is not of great impact and so The power of the second Transmitter Ckt is higher than the previous one which uses just a 6V DC margin for amplification and enhancement

oh sorry i forgot to say that i used 9V battery instead of 6 V in my circuit and i got around 6v p-p in the oscillator output. may be it has something to do with the resistors ?

The second amplifier is a multi stage amplifier

If the gain of the first system is A and the gain of second stage is B then the effective gain of the second system is AB

Thus the second one has higher gain cause of multi staging

the first one is a simple single stage amplifier and in general the power op of them is lesser than cascaded versions

actually the audio signal i used was amplified in a first stage CE amplifier and the decoupled output was applied to Q1 base hence it's also a multistage amplifier . i wonder if the problem is related to the position of the tank circuit or to the oscillator type .. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back