Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ALTSYNCRAM vs ALTDPRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

manojkhandelwal

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
reading data sheets is not helping, so can anyone please explain the difference between "altsyncram" and "altdpram" ?

Thanks,
manoj

Asuming you are referring to Altera block RAM IP ("MegaFunctions"), both are just aliases for the same library.

Hi FvM,
Thanks for such early reply!!!!

Now,do they have something to do with synchronous and asynchronous RAM...
i mean to say that ALTSYNCRAM refers to synchronous ram and ALTDPRAM refers to an asynchronous one.....?
or both refers to synchronous RAM.......there must be some difference..

Thanks in advance,
Mnaoj

oh sorry, i mean to say synchronous read and asynchronous read...

You need to refer to hardware properties of the respective FPGA family. The libraries can only provide existing hardware functionality. With Altera all block RAM uses registered read addresses, in so far reads are synchronous.

Some FPGA families are however offering limited capacity of MLAB RAM, which is actually implemented in logic cell LUTs. It offers asynchronous operation as an option, if I remember right.

Status
Not open for further replies.