Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Altium 10 SVNDbLib How this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

void_main

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I use Altium for a while, and I always use Integrated Libraries, but know we are trying to use SVN like we do with software. We make some tests, I read a lot of altium documantation and Wiki, about DbLib and SVNDBlib, but I couldn´t understand how this work, how to add componets, how to edit.. and always I try to convert a lib to SVNBDlib I get an error.

Could someone try to explain how this works?

Thanks

altium.jpg

have you tried the SVN database library conversion wizard?? You will need to have a library open for this to work. Hope you know how to setup the SVN.
There are 3 parts for this to work.
SVNDBLIB file is the linking file for the database
MDB or XLS is the actual database that contains all the parameters for the symbols.
you will need 2 folders in the SVN repository, one for the schematics symbol and one for the PCB symbols. Each part will have its on library.

Hi loosemoose, thanks for your answer. Yes, SVN is OK and running on a linux server, I use Tortoise as a SVN client for software development.
I tried many things, open integrated library and SVN database library maker... but an error hapen in SVN Error Not enough arguments provided. The Wizard create the SVNDBLib and MDB and the files in a TMP dir (each symbol, each footprint is now one file? is that right?) but not transfer to SVN.
Im thinking in force the files o SVN via tortoise but i´m not sure if this will work. I need MDB, SVNDBLib and the two folder for sch and pcb in the repository? After that how can I add a new component to this database?

Thank you

you need to commit the symbols manually. only the SCH and PCB need to be in the repository.
but you need to update the options in the SVNDBlib file.
method and location need to be set. also where the 2 folder for the symbols live as well.
see attached image:

dblib.JPG

Hi loosemoosem thank again, I did the split and created all single files for each component, create the SVNDBLib and the MDB as well. Link the data inside the MDB to [Library Ref] and [Footprint Ref] and give a name Part Number.
The repository is working now, I can right click in the component on Table Browser and I can open symbol, open footprint, edit , save, the status on storage manager changes to red (modification) and I can commit (some times I give and error, and I need to do a clean up in tortoise, but I can commit with tortoise that look much more robust than SVN in Altium 10. The only problem now is where I leave the SVNDBLib and MDB? In a shared folder in the network and the workstations will map this drive and add the svndblib to the libraries? Another problem is that when I add the svndblib, altium adds ok, but not show the lib in the dropdown of the libs and also not show the components...
thanks

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

I found the problem. The SVNDBLib and MDB was in the Altium Working folder in Data Management -> SVN Libraries.
I move the two files to other folder and now look is working. So just answer my question about where is the best place to put these two files. Thank you!

our files live on the network, so that everybody has access to them. you can also add those files to SVN if you like (sort of a backup).

Hello,

I'am also trying to create a SVNDBLib, i used to have a DBlib. Everything seems to work, except for one thing: I cant see the symbols or footprints in the library manager, and ever worse, i can't place them.
When i open the SVNDBlib file i can see all of my components, and i even add and edit the components, i can open the symbol/footprints from this file. I See them appear in the Storage manager. But No matter what i've tried, i can't seem to place the components on my sheet or PCB.
Any of you guys had the same problems? Any ideas?

Any help would be great!
Thnx

did you enable the SVN in the Altium preferences?? It looks to me as if the Altium SVN cache is not working.

Hi

Sorry to drag up this post after so long, however I am having the same problem as Jos Brink was/is. I have enabled SVN but it still doesn't work. When I try to edit a component in the library browser I get an access violation error! Any ideas how to solve this?

Hi

Why don't you download the reference design from Atium wiki. In there is a simple SVN library. See if you can get that up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back