Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Allegro PCB - how to start when migrating from OrCAD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavanvora

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Allegro PCB SI

Hi everyone,

I am currently doing PCB designing in OrCAD and wanna learn Allegro.Can anyone tell me how to start with Allegro? And how to import logic and nets from capture to PCB SI and Allegro PCB Editor???

Please help me.....

Regards,

Pavan Vora

Allegro PCB SI

Hello,
I am newbie in Allegro but here are the things that will get you going:
Get this boook : https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Design-Using-Capture-Editor/dp/0750689714
There it is very well explained how to start with generating netlist, importing logic, etc.
Now, in order for you to start you need to translate your OrCAD Layout footprint library to Allegro format. Layout PLus keeps all its footprints into single file, while Allegro PCB Editor have every footprint as a single file, sometime more than one. Yout have a file with extension *.dra which is the symbol itself and *.psm. This is the minimum of footprint files that you will have. Say you have a footprint for 0603 resistor and you name the file 0603. What you will get it file 0603.dra and 0603.psm . Easiest way to translate your Layout footprints is to place them in a *.max file, then use OrcAD Layout translator, which is a separate application. It translates *.MAX files into *.BRD files, which is the extension used in Allegro for PCBs. Then you open the *.BRD file with Allegro PCB Editor and select File->Export->Libraries. If everything goes right you will have many files *.dra and*.psm which will have filenames representing each symbol from the Layout Plus footprint Library. Keep in mind, that in your design folder you should have two folders - Devices and Symbols, in the Symbols folder you keep all your footprints. At least this is what I do to ensure PCB Editor finds them.
Next, on generating netlist you open your design in Capture, select the design itself (as when generating netlist for Layout Plus) select Tools->Create Netlist, and then Click on the tab PCB Editor. You have to pint at which directory you want the netlist. https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/95_1265233319.jpg
To import the netlist, go to Allegro PCB Editor and select File->Import->Logic. Then select from which folder, select Capture and if you want Always to replace old components with new ones if you import netlist for second or Nth time with changes in it. https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/58_1265233430.jpg
Advice: When you first import netlist, save the *.BRD file and perform Back Annotation to make sure it goes smoothly. Back annotation is performed from Capture: Tools->Back Annotation. You select the *.BRD file and folder where the netlist is. the back annotation file SWP is automatically created and applied to the Capture design. Okay....read the book and get going! Hope this would help you. Good Luck!

how to import layout footprint from allegro to orcad tool

Hello sir,
I am Banu. i have one doublt. how to translate the layout footprint from allegro to orcad tool....... please Help me...... give some ideas in this
Email Id = banupriya.smk@gmail.com

Thanks and Regards,
Banu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back