Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Algorithm to find out how much Torque is necessary by a DC motor to rotate a rotor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
... the Mi of the shaft was calculated including the blades right? how can i calculate the Mi of the blade again???
Seems this was a misunderstanding on my side about the shaft: I thought with shaft you thought of the axis of the motor. I don't think you have to recalculate the Mi value.

also i understood all those calculation parts but i was wondering what formula or how did you derive this expression angle = (α/2)*t2
can you direct me what expression or formula is it?

i sense it is a expression to know how much amount of radians/degree has the object rotated with the given angular acceleration in given time t.

Right. It's just analog to the equation for the covered distance of linear movement (s) of a mass (m) accelerated by the acceleration (a) during a time (t):
s = (a/2)*t2 , where a = F/m (F=force [N])

If you need a more exact explanation, I'd recommend to study thoroughly this Wiki explanation - which I've linked already in my first answer to you.

Sorry,im back after some gap,

Another simple doubt was raised,the SI unit of Moment of Inertia is kg.m² not Nm² right??

[original post] In that case,each blade weighs 1.5kg and length is 1.5meter each..

hence the Moment of Inertia = (mL²)/3 = (1.5kg X (1.5 meter)²)/3 = 1.125 kg.meter² of Moment of Inertia

as there are 3 Blades,so the total Mi is 1.125 * 3 = 3.375 kg.meter² (or 33Nm²).

so i want to accelerate this shaft with 3.375 kg.m² of Mi to 2500 RPM in 15 seconds..

2500 RPM = 262 Rads/Second

Acceleration from 0 rads/se to 262 rads/sec in 15 seconds

so 262/15 = 17.46 rads/sec² Acceleration

now T = Mi X Acc

now is the Mi unit in kg.m² or Nm²?

if i plug in kg.m²,i get T = 3.375kg.m² * 17.46 rads/sec² = 58.92 Newton Meter of Troque,which looks kinda realistic number

but if i plug in Mi in Nm² unit,then its becomes T = 33Nm² X 17.46 = 576 Newton meter of Torque,which doesnt look quite realistic...

so which unit of Mi is used in T = Mi X Acc
is it Nm² or kg.m²?

,and what is the unit of T then?...

thank you

Last edited:

Another simple doubt was raised, the SI unit of Moment of Inertia is kg.m² not Nm² right??

Yes, you are right: the original error was here in your very first question of this thread (and I didn't notice it either, before now):
the weight of the each blade is 1.5 kg/14.7 Newtons
It is not allowed to use the acceleration of gravity for the conversion of [kg] into [N*s2/m] (not simply [N]!), because not the gravity's acceleration will be used, but the motor's.

Hence 1kg = 1N*s2/m

So your above calculation seems correct:
T = 3.375kg.m² * 17.46 rads/sec² = 58.92 Newton Meter of Torque

[kg.m2 * [rads]/s2] =[(N*s2/m)*m2 * [[rads]/s2] = [Nm]

[rads] is a dimensionless unit.

Merry Christmas! - erikl

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor