Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Again with the serial mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilco

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all, please help me with this trouble:
I installed LINUX Fedora core (kernel 2.6.11) and I haven't been able to make my 3-buttons serial mouse to work with this OS. I've already asked for help before at this forum and somebody recommended to me looking at some sites, and I did.I followed the instructions given in one of those forums,which were basically the following:
- Make this link: ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/mouse (because ttyS0 is the same COM1 under DOS and my mouse is connected to COM1)
- Then, modify manually the config file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf in my case)using the path of the new link and changing the mouse protocol if necessary
And I did it too. The original part of the config file about mouse was:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

As shown, the protocol is wrong for my serial mouse and the given path for the device, I don't know..., because I really have no idea which kind of device or port is "/dev/input/mice" pointing to (although somebody told me it could be an USB port). However, I made the respective changes and the modified section was:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "Microsoft"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse "
# Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
# Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection T

The comments(#) were added because I don't know how these options influence
the mouse's performance and by now, I just interest the mouse works (with 2 or 3 buttons).The protocol is Microsoft because the forums that I visited recommended it for serial mice (and I saw it under Windows XP for my mouse)...
Once done, I rebooted Fedora and the graphic mode fail because the "bad configuration of the mouse" according with the error message. So I look at the generated report file and I find something like this:

(**) Mouse0: Device: "/dev/mouse "
(**) Mouse0: Protocol: "Microsoft"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse0: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/mouse "
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/mouse
No such file or directory.
(EE) Mouse0: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Mouse0"

I go to /dev, and,effectively, there isn't a directory named /dev/mouse.
What happened? Why did Fedora delete my new link? Somebody tells me that sometimes this happens when the link's source doesn't exist at the moment of
mounting the file system (after rebooting), and this may be because of the order of mounting of all devices and files....
I believe it, and I try replacing in all the last process the link path "/dev/mouse" for the original character device file "/dev/ttyS0", but, ¡¡¡A BAD SURPRISE!!!, I get exactly the same result as before, only replacing in all the error and report messages the path "/dev/mouse" for "/dev/ttyS0".
Then, I don't understand!!, how is it possible that the report file tells me that "/dev/ttyS0" does NOT exist??
Is it possible that the source of all problems is ¡¡ ttyS0 !! ??
And, if yes, what can I do?
Please, give some idea (different of changing my mouse because I want to try using it with Fedora)!!!
THANKS IN ADVANCE...:cry:

Try this: in text mode and at the console as root use the command redhat-config-mouse, the protocol is IMPS/2. See the xmodmap man page for wheel. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.