Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice on Replicating Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

eetjd

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone! This is my first time posting here, my name is Justin.

I need help replicating a signal on a system I'm currently working on. The line, when idle, sits at +8VDC; when the line is active, the system transmits data on the line by modulating it and creating a very rough sin wave. The voltage swings from about +5.5V to about 9.7V when it's transmitting. The wave has a period of about 8uS so that gives it a frequency of 125k HZ. I've included two pictures of the line when it's active; the data was captured using a logic analyzer that can do analog.

What circuit could I use to replicate this signal? Should I use transistors, OP AMPS or something else? I'll admit I'm somewhat weak in analog circuits, so this is a learning process for me.

Thanks for you time!
signal_snip.PNG
signal_snip2.PNG

Hello,

I think there are questions you need to answer for yourself: "Are you doing this for test purposes?" or "Am I trying to model something and give it as an input to my circuit, or am I modelling a circuit that is doing this behavior?"

If you are doing it for test purposes or if you're going to use this as a stimuli, no you shouldn't use transistors opamps or anything that has a physical correspondence. They would just slow your simulations down and they're unnecessary complications. Also this is what many people would understand when you say I want to replicate a signal in simulation. At least that's what I thought. In this case you can write a verilogA model or just put two ideal switches, one connected to 8 VDC and the other connected to a sine wave of your choice. And then you can switch between them using a square wave signal. It's the most basic thing I can think of.

The second thing you might have asked for is the real circuit that can do this. The implementation of this circuit completely depends on your specifications and I don't think you have enough data to come up with solid specifications. For example it's easy to do this with a Wien oscillator with an on/off switch, but the problems are: "What is this circuit going to drive?" "How much accuracy do I really need?" "Do I really need to turn this off at a very weird voltage like 8V?"

I'm assuming you want the first one. For the second one, I can't design a circuit for you, but I can help you with a few problems you might face in the process. Depends on what you're trying to do really.

Status
Not open for further replies.