Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

advice for excitation port on dielectric-filled coaxial resonator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarodcs

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello fellows

Please I seek for your help on this setup that is making doubt about my week concepts.
The attached files correspond to 02 images and 01 CST 3D model file of a dielectric-filled (Er=38) quarter-wavelength coaxial resonator.
As you can see the resonator is a square coaxial section with a metal inner conductor and a metal outer coating.
The EM boundaries is PEC on all the walls, and the background is "Normal" (Er=1). The excitation is connected from the top PEC boundary towards the inner conductor. I had to put a lumped parallel-RLC circuit (with R=50, L=0, C=0) between the Lumped Port and the inner conductor because without it, the S11 was horrendous (something with the coupling, it has to be, right?)

The site (https://www.changpuak.ch/electronics/calc_20.php) provides a calculator to find out the RLC equivalent circuit of a dielectric resonator of this kind.
These are the parameters I'm using for the square section (square side = 6mm, inner hole radious = 2mm, resonator length = 15 mm, relative permittivity Er= 38)

1662062830866.png

With those parameters, resonance frequency should in the neighbor of 800 MHz (700 - 900 MHz).
However, when simulation is performed with a waveport placed on the open side of the resonator, grounded with the outer coating, it does not work the simulaiton.
And I had use the lumped port to cause some s11 acceptable answer. But I don't know if I'm doing ok.

Can you please, take a look?
Thanks so much in advance

Although I'm not expert on CST 3D EM simulator, a Waveport is used for coaxial structures.
1662081592753.png

The attached files correspond to 02 images and 01 CST 3D model file of a dielectric-filled (Er=38) quarter-wavelength coaxial resonator.

I had to put a lumped parallel-RLC circuit (with R=50, L=0, C=0) between the Lumped Port and the inner conductor because without it, the S11 was horrendous (something with the coupling, it has to be, right?)

Hi Jarodcs,

I don't think you've provided us with enough information: what is the far boundary condition on the end of the 1/4-wave resonator? Is it shorted, opened, or terminated in some impedance?

Based on your description, I would guess it is shorted, which would cause the input impedance to be an effective open due to the quarter wavelength. Hence, you need the 50 ohms additional impedance to match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back