Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] ADS simulator - Scattering problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasr

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I need help with ADS. I was trying to simulate a simple problem using ADS simulator which is "calculation of scattering from a PEC cylinder". I know this problem is present in literature and solved analytically but I need to solve it using ADS.

Does anyone know if ADS can solve this problem or not?

Thanks in advance and waiting for reply.

This requires 3D EM simulation with plane wave excitation. You can not do this in ADS.

Thanks for reply.

What if the cylinder was infinite? Can I do 2D simulation with plane wave excitation using ADS?

Unfortunately not. You would still need plane wave excitation, which cannot be done in ADS, and I don't think there's any way to strictly enforce a 2D domain in ADS either (it works in 3D*, but assuming that all of the features are planar).

Reactions: nasr

nasr

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
What do you mean by "it works in 3D but assuming that all other features are planar"? Does "it" mean the plane wave?

What do you mean by "it works in 3D but assuming that all other features are planar"? Does "it" mean the plane wave?

He means that the FEM engine in ADS is limited to extruded 2D objects. The Agilent product for EM modelling of arbitrary 3D objects is EmPro.

But as said, you would need plane wave excitation, which is not supported by any simulation engine in ADS. You need to use a different tool.

PlPlane wave excitation is supported by FDTD solver that is part of 3D EM tool EMPro. ADS has only FEM and Momentum that’s why it’s not possible to define plane wave for scattering calculation in ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back