Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

adpcm and an 8 bit uC

Status
Not open for further replies.

lollobrigido

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
adpcm 8bit

I'm searching for ADPCM algorithm that get 8bit stream data and encode it in 'n' bit (with n < 8 obviously :p ). I found only algorithm that get 16 bit stream data and encode in 4 bit, but I've a uC that has an ADC of 8 bit and I think the usage of 16 bit algo is fool.
Thx for any answer
Lollo

8bit adpcm

Thx for any answer

Ok, some answer :) I have made ADPCM decoder with 8-bit DAC. AFAIK, there is no big reason to change algorithm from 16-bit to 8-bit - as, anyway, you will have 4 bits of data on memory. There is automatic scale changing on ADPCM algorithm. Also, there was no distortions at all - After making sequential encoding and decoding of voice wav file there was none bit changing. But you will get distortions if you decrease variables size in routine.

read this excerpt :
"ADPCM

Adaptive Differential Pulse Code Modulation ADPCM (G.721) allows for the compression of PCM encoded input whose power varies with time. Feedback of a reconstructed version of the input signal is subtracted from the actual input signal, which is then quantised to give a 4 bit output value. This compression gives a 32 kbit/s output rate. This standard was recently extended in G.726 , which replaces both G.721 and G.723 , to allow conversion between 64 kbit/s PCM and 40, 32, 24, or 16 kbit/s channels. G.727 is an extension of G.726 and issued for embedded ADPCM on 40, 32, 24, or 16 kbit/s channels, with the specific intention of being used in packetised speech systems utilizing the Packetized Voice Protocol (PVP), defined in G.764.

The encoding of higher quality speech (50Hz-7kHz) is covered in G.722 and G.725 , and is achieved by utilizing sub-band ADPCM coding on two frequency sub-bands; the output rate is 64 kbit/s. "

o what you are looking for is the ITU-T standard .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back