Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

adding Vias in Cadstar

Status
Not open for further replies.

monster munch

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I am trying to add a via in Cadstar. I have a net that will not route on the top side, and has to go on the underside of the PCB.
I start the track on the top, then where appropriate, right click and change layer, great! it adds a via. So I track underneath, then where appropriate, change layer to come back to the top. to me this is logical, but Cadstar will not place another via to come back to the top layer. So I leave the track unfinished on the bottom layer.
I think "I will add a via manually, with the add a via command"
No such thing exists, so how is it done? I have spent hours trying to do this. the help menu is no help.

Any advice gratefully received.

You simply route and select to change layer as you have described.

However I bet that you are routing with "errors allowed" turned off and no online DRC?
So I also think that if you allow errors then it will add the via.

Which would go to show that cadstar is doing exactly as it has been told to do, adding your via would break one of the rules or settings you have it set with so
it will not allow you to do it unless you choose to route with errors allowed (and use the online drc) or change the settings.

You are correct, no such command like "add via" exists, how can it? it would have to be connected to a net - you cannot just add random vias that are not connected to a net.

Monster Munch, have you got the documentation?

Reading the manual and going through the self teach can be very informative in helping you find things.

Hi Matt,
Yes I have the documentation. What happens is this, when I want to add avia to come back to the top level, I right click to change layers, result, nothing. If this is an error, I do not get an error message to tell me what is the problem, I just can't add the via. However on other nets this operation is fine.

Does it allow you to do it with errors allowed on as Rat suggests?
Have you a spacing class on the route?

You apply a spacing class when you are setting the route widths (in DE - net properties - net button).
However if you do not know about spacing classes then you likely have not used them.

Is there copper on an inner layer that is not set as visible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back