Status
Not open for further replies.

PRIYADHARSHINI PALANISAMY

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have given a 10 v ac for adc circuit by using voltage divider circuit.after that i have to give this voltage as a input to adc.inbetween that i have to include protection circuit which is used to protect my adc from over voltage.for that i have used schottkey diode.my question is the input of the diode is ac 10v.is the diodes required a dc supply for its operation?

- - - Updated - - -

Adc -input over voltage protection circuit

I have given a 10 v ac for adc circuit by using voltage divider circuit.after that i have to give this voltage as a input to adc.inbetween that i have to include protection circuit which is used to protect my adc from over voltage.for that i have used schottkey diode.my question is the input of the diode is ac 10v.is the diodes required a dc supply for its operation?

Last edited:

Not quite sure I understand your question. What do you mean "required a dc supply..."? Ordinarily the cathode of the diode is connected to some DC voltage such that the input will only go a diode-drop above that voltage. If you don't know that, then what actually does your 'protection circuit' look like?

You don't tell us what adc you are using. Is it a bipolar input? are you rectifying your AC?

ya.its a bipolar input..i m not going to rectify my ac.actually Does a DioDe require a dc for its operation.?if is it so in rectifier circuit we use a DioDe as a rectifying element.(just convert ac to dc) .but the DioDe does not require Dc supply for its operation in that circuit.. why?

Does a DioDe require a dc for its operation.?
That depends on what 'operation' you are expecting the diode to perform. If you are trying to use it as a clamp (as you are here), you need a clamp voltage, i.e., a voltage above which the diode will conduct.

You seem to be confused about what a diode actually is. Why do you keep asking "does it need a supply"? It's a passive device, and, thus, doesn't "need" a dc supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…