Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adc -input over voltage protection circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRIYADHARSHINI PALANISAMY

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have given a 10 v ac for adc circuit by using voltage divider circuit.after that i have to give this voltage as a input to adc.inbetween that i have to include protection circuit which is used to protect my adc from over voltage.for that i have used schottkey diode.my question is the input of the diode is ac 10v.is the diodes required a dc supply for its operation?

- - - Updated - - -

Adc -input over voltage protection circuit

I have given a 10 v ac for adc circuit by using voltage divider circuit.after that i have to give this voltage as a input to adc.inbetween that i have to include protection circuit which is used to protect my adc from over voltage.for that i have used schottkey diode.my question is the input of the diode is ac 10v.is the diodes required a dc supply for its operation?

Last edited:

Not quite sure I understand your question. What do you mean "required a dc supply..."? Ordinarily the cathode of the diode is connected to some DC voltage such that the input will only go a diode-drop above that voltage. If you don't know that, then what actually does your 'protection circuit' look like?

You don't tell us what adc you are using. Is it a bipolar input? are you rectifying your AC?

ya.its a bipolar input..i m not going to rectify my ac.actually Does a DioDe require a dc for its operation.?if is it so in rectifier circuit we use a DioDe as a rectifying element.(just convert ac to dc) .but the DioDe does not require Dc supply for its operation in that circuit.. why?

Does a DioDe require a dc for its operation.?
That depends on what 'operation' you are expecting the diode to perform. If you are trying to use it as a clamp (as you are here), you need a clamp voltage, i.e., a voltage above which the diode will conduct.

You seem to be confused about what a diode actually is. Why do you keep asking "does it need a supply"? It's a passive device, and, thus, doesn't "need" a dc supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back