Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ADC input driver - how to ensure low insertion loss and matched impedance to source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slessard

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm designing a sensor analog chain ending to an ADC from TI (ADS6442 : https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ads6442.pdf). The Drive CIrcuit Requirements (p49) says :

"the drive circuit may have to be designed to provide a low insertion loss over the
desired frequency range and matched impedance to the source. While doing this, the ADC input impedance has
to be taken into account. Figure 84 shows that the impedance (Zin, looking into the ADC input pins) decreases at
high input frequencies. The smith chart shows that the input impedance is capacitive and can be approximated
by a series R-C upto 500 MHz."

I chose a THS4520 opamp with a differential output to drive the ADC, like this :
adc driver.JPG

The sampling frequency is 20MHz.
How do I design my ADC driver to ensure a low insertion loss and match the impedance of the source?
The datasheet also says that "it is necessary to present low impedance (< 50 Ω) for the common mode switching currents. For
example, this is achieved by using two resistors from each input terminated to the common mode voltage (VCM)."

I can't figure out how to mix these 3 requirements for my ADC input...

The input circuit of the ADC is as follow :
adc input dircuit.JPG

Thanks for your help!

There's no point of providing matched impedance when driving it with a fully differential amplifier placed near to the ADC. The comment is meant for direct connection to 50 ohm systems, e.g. the balun driver circuit in the datasheet.

In the active driver circuit, low common impedance is achieved by the filter capacitors and the driver output itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back