Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Active Power Filter Using Atmega16

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujjwol77

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am doing a project called ACTIVE POWER FILTER and I have to identify the fundamental frequency component of a signal using Atmega16. Now i believe I have two use DFT or FFT to extract the fundamental frequency component from a signal. But I am having a hard time implementing this on ATmega16.
Can anyone help me?

A detailed project specification could clarify a lot. I would expect a rather limited frequency range (assuming it's about mains power) at worst 50 - 60 Hz plus some margin. That's not a reasonable FFT application. I would either think about a digital band pass filter, a FFT-like Goertzel filter, or a PLL.

thank u for the reply!! yes i am only concerned with the mains signal ... i have read about the goertzel algorithm. can u give me some ideas on implementing it in
atmega16 microcontroller?

is there any other ways i can extract the fundamental component without using microcontrollers?

The Goertzel algorithm effectively calculates a single line of the FFT by multplying the input signal with a discrete complex sinewave of the respective frequency and summing the product over the indended sequence length. So it requires to know the fundamental frequency. If your intended output is a continuous fundamental wave, I would prefer a band pass filter. Of course an analog filter can be used as well. If you don't need the signal in the digital domain, I would be the preferred method anyway, and with limited processor resources, possibly also as an analog pre-filter.

by band pass filter do u mean builiding a fitler with opamps??
would such a filter be accurate enough to extract 50hz signal while rejecting all the harmonics?

and i couldnt understand what u mean by an analog pre-filter

Yes, a analog fundamental filter will be easy. Pre-filter meaned the case, that you would want to process the voltage by a microprocessor, but prefer an analog filter.

Hi,
I'm also doing a project about Active Power Filter. I have employ the hardware with time domain algorithm but faced some problem.
By now I decide change to use FFT algorithm. Can you tell me what is the drawback and difficult of FFT?
Can you give me you email address, I think we have a lot to discuss.
Thanks and regards,
Cuong.

well the main difficulty i am facing is performing FFT on microcontrollers with there limited memory and processing powers!!! Meanwhile i am trying to design a microcontroller based STATCOM device using the Hysteresis Band PWM Controller. The topics are quite related. I would be glad to discuss with you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back