Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Active bandpass filters with low Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert nobbins

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have been trying to make an active bandpass filter of the Multiple Feedback type with a low Q, say 0.5, but for any Q less than 0.707 (1/root2) the design equations give nonsense resistor values. Is 0.707 the minimum Q possible with this configuration, and I am attempting the impossible? I have read all the filter books I can but have found no answer to this question.

If it is impossible, could I get a Q of 0.5 with some other kind of bandpass filter??

It only has to work over the audio bandwidth. I would be very grateful for any help.

It's very uncommon to use an active band pass filter with a Q as low as 0.5 because you can realize it with a passive network.
However, it should be possible with the MFB topology.
If you have problems in finding the part values, use a filter design program (available via internet).

Yes, it can be done. Try Nuhertz Technologies "filter free" software. The Texas Instruments Filterpro also does it. However, it is not much of a filter! Depending on what you are trying to achieve a combination of a LP & HP might be better.

Keith.

LvW said:
It's very uncommon to use an active band pass filter with a Q as low as 0.5 because you can realize it with a passive network.quote]

That's a thought... the Wien network has a Q of 1/3, but I really need 0.5 or close to it. Do you know of any passive networks that can achieve that?

bert nobbins said:
the Wien network has a Q of 1/3, but I really need 0.5 or close to it. Do you know of any passive networks that can achieve that?

The WIEN network has Q=1/3 only in case of R1=R2 and C1=C2.

When you need a higher Q try the following:

R1=kR2 and C1=C2/k with k=1 for the classical (symmetric) WIEN network.

In this case T1=R1C1=T2=R2C2=T and 2*Pi*Fo=1/T
and Q=T/(2T+T/k).

For k=10 you have for example Q=1/2.1.

Is that close enough to 0.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.